The Health Department responds 24 hours a days, weekends and holidays, to potential threats to public health.
The mission of the Department of Health is-
To preserve, promote and protect the health, safety and well-being of the people and the environment of Erie County.
• Acting as the guardian and as an advocate in all matters relating to the public's health;
• Promoting healthy lifestyles;
• Reducing preventable illness and controlling the spread of communicable diseases;
• Identifying and eliminating health and safety hazards;
• Protecting and promoting the quality of the environment.
ECDH operates under the authority of Public Law 1304, Local Administration Law Act 315, originally enacted August 24, 1951.