Founded in 1960 as the Arts Council of Erie, Erie Arts & Culture is the Local Arts Agency (LAA) for Northwestern Pennsylvania and a formal partner of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts (PCA). In fact, we were the first arts council in the Commonwealth. Our role is to promote, support, and develop the arts and humanities at the regional level; ensuring broad opportunities for residents and tourists throughout communities in Erie, Crawford, Venango, Warren, Mercer, and Lawrence counties to engage with the sector educationally, socially, and economically. Our presence ensures that all communities - regardless of their geographic location or economic status - are systematically and equitably served.
In support of our mission, Erie Arts & Culture:
- Provides tools, resources, and financial support to individuals and organizations that specifically utilize the arts and humanities as a platform to engage the broader community.
- Grows the capacity of our sector to ensure extraordinary cultural experiences.
- Creates an environment in which artists, creative professionals, and cultural professionals, representing a wide variety of disciplines, can thrive.
- Funds opportunities for lifelong learning through cultural experiences in classrooms, institutions, and community spaces.
- Consults on how placemaking can be a component in any development or redevelopment project.
- Celebrates Erie's collective identity by preserving and promoting the region's cultural diversity.